Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Welcome!

Shamus Fancy 19 years old French Thoroughbred

I created this blog to chronicle my training with my Thoroughbred dressage horse, Shamus Fancy. We're a typical horse/rider pair except for one thing: Fancy is 19 years old, and I've owned him for 15 years. He's my first horse. And while most riders would be moving on, Fancy and I are pursuing a final goal together: Third level dressage by the time he's 20 and I'm 30.

I hope my story with Fancy will reveal something about the strains and joys of longterm horse ownership, the particular challanges and excitements of working towards a goal with an uncertain amount of time left together, and I hope this blog will inspire other riders not to give up or retire an older horse if they've "still got it."

I'll be posting about every ride with Fancy as a way to stay on track, and I'll also be occasionally posting abour other horses I ride, train, or just pine for.

No comments:

About Me

"It's as if she's a tour-guide in a place she's never been. When she sees something new, she presents it as if it were a landmark of which we must be made familiar! It's as if she thinks a story from within can serve as a storied history of something without!"